Quick Links

1 South Side Square
Suite 103
Murfreesboro, TN 37130

Phone: (615) 898-7743
Fax: (615) 898-7938
Email Us

Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(except holidays)

General FAQ Questions

What is the address and phone number of the Rutherford County Election Commission Office?

One Public Square South
Room 103
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
(615) 898-7743

What is the web site for the Tennessee Division of Elections?


Where may I find Rutherford County Election Information on the web?


What is the e-mail address for the Rutherford County Election Commission?


Who may register to vote?

Any citizen of the United States who is or will be eighteen (18) years of age or older before the date of the next election and who is a resident of Rutherford County, Tennessee may register to vote unless disqualified under the law (TCA 2-2-102 and 2-2-104).

How do I register to vote?

Qualified voters may register to vote by obtaining and completing a voter registration form and filing it with the local Election Commission office. In Tennessee individuals may register to vote in person or by mail.

How do I register in person?

Voter registration forms may be completed in person at the local Election Commission Office or at any one of several public assistance offices including: Department of Safety motor vehicles (driver license) division, Department of Health and Mental Retardation, Department of Human Services, Department of Veteran’s Affairs, and Military Recruiting Offices.

How do I register to vote by mail?

By either completing in full a voter registration form and mailing the form to the Election Commission office, or by completing the voter registration form and placing it in a locked drop box at the Public Library, County Court Clerk’s office and Register of Deed’s office. Election Commission office personnel routinely pick up forms.

What is the last day I may register before an election?

In order to vote in an election, an individual must be properly registered no later than thirty days before an election. Election Commission Office personnel will process by-mail voter applications if postmarked thirty days or more before any election.

Do I declare a certain political party when I register to vote in Tennessee?

The State of Tennessee does not require someone to declare party affiliation when registering to vote. Tennessee does have primaries where party nominees who qualify to run for a particular office are elected by majority vote and proceed to the General election held in either August or November. You do not have to be a member of a party to vote in primaries or in General elections. Individuals may register with a certain party but are not required to declare a party when registering to vote. With the exception of Presidential election years when the Presidential Preference Primary is held in February in Tennessee, primaries are held in May and August of even numbered years.

Can I vote for candidates in both parties during a primary?

Crossing party lines to vote for candidates in both parties may only occur in general elections. During a primary election a voter must vote for candidates from only one party.

How do I find out where I vote on Election Day?

Your election day voting location is listed on your voter registration card. A Where Do I Vote” link on our web site may also be helpful. Based on where you live, additional valuable information is provided, such as the district in which you live, city ward if applicable, school district, state house, state senate and U.S. Congress district.

I have just moved to Rutherford County from Davidson County. Do I have to re-register?

Yes. You must be registered in the county where you live in order to vote in that county.

How do I change my address if I have moved within Rutherford County?

It is very important to keep your voter registration information up to date. If your address
has changed, please notify the Rutherford County Election Commission as soon as possible.

You can download a voter registration form here: http://www.tn.gov/sos/election/index
The form to change your address can be scan and e-mail or fax it to us at (615-898-7938) also mail or hand delivered. When you move and notify the Electric Company, the Water Department, and other service departments, please notify your Election Commission as well. Keeping your voter registration records up to date, will save you valuable time when you go vote.

I’ll be out of town on Election Day. How can I vote?

There are a couple of ways you may vote if you will be out of town on election day.
The Rutherford County Election Commission offers 15 days of Early Voting whereby voters may vote at any one of several early voting sites during specific times which are announced through the press before the early voting period begins. The early voting period begins 20 days before the election date and ends five  days before the election date.
If you can’t vote early, you may request an absentee ballot from the Rutherford County Election Commission either in person or by mail, or by fax no earlier than 60 days or later than 7 days before the day of the election. The request must include your name, address, Social Security number, the out of town address where we can mail the ballot, the election or elections you wish to vote in, and the reason you wish to vote absentee. The request must be signed by the voter.

I am a college student in another county. How can I vote?

Either request an absentee ballot from your county of record or register to vote in the county where you are attending school.

I will be moving to another state a few days before the Presidential Election. How can I make sure I get to vote for President?

The voter may vote by absentee or return to the county where you are registered and voter there in person if you moved less than 30 days before the election. This only applies for the electors of President and Vice President, not local elections.

My wife and I are stationed overseas and would like to vote in the 2008 elections. How do I make this happen?

If you are active duty military personnel or a dependent stationed outside your county of residence, a Federal Post Card Application (Form 76) is available through your unit’s Voting Assistance Officer, or you may contact your local Election Commission Office to receive a form. For a U.S. citizen living overseas, a form 76 may be obtained from the nearest U.S. Embassy. Mail the Form 76 to your local Election Commission Office.

I reside in a Nursing Home and would like to vote. How do I accomplish this?

Election deputies coordinate voting activities at all state registered nursing homes, home for the aged or similar licensed institution providing permanent domiciliary care. However, residents may vote early during the early voting period or at their polling place on Election Day if they prefer.